Hello and welcome to the course!
Our first class meeting will take place Tues, Jan 18 in Sullivan 314.
Please make sure you do the following in Week 1.
- Read the syllabus. Several times.
- Familiarize yourself with the Blackboard set-up and bookmark the course website.
- Obtain the textbook by Glatthaar, The American Military: A Concise History — from campus bookstore or rent/buy online.
- Download the 2-volume textbook, American Military History as free PDFs — see links in the sidebar or under “Getting Started” on Blackboard.
- Contribute to the Day 1 introduction discussion board by 11:59 pm on Jan 18.
- Read the assigned chapters for Jan 18 and 20. Take notes and define the syllabus terms as you read.
- Sign up to present 2 different chapters, on the Google spreadsheet linked on Blackboard and the course website, by Jan 21 at 11:59 pm.
- Got questions? Put them on the Troubleshooting discussion board, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Finally, yes — this class has a significant reading load. I’ve identified key terms in each chapter on the syllabus for each day, which should help you know what to look for as you read, and the peer chapter presentations starting next week will also help make sense of the readings. I’ll have more to say about how to read the textbooks in our early days together — don’t let the length of these books concern you too much at this point.