Historian’s Craft Student Learning Outcomes
By the end of this course, you should have accomplished the following:
- broadened the range of sources and methods you use to study the past and investigate topics of your own interest
- refined your research techniques and historical writing ability
- created an electronic portfolio and begun the process of using it to integrate your learning in the History major or minor
- explored various history-related professions in light of your own career goals
Historian’s Craft is designed to address the following learning outcomes of the history major / minor:
- Students will identify primary and secondary sources, and understand the scholarly uses of each. Students can analyze a given source using appropriate questions, methods and techniques.
- Students will gain information literacy with respect to both printed and online sources of historical information.
- Students will frame questions for historical research and conduct a program of research inquiry, demonstrating strong and independent research skills.
- Students will [prepare to] create original works of historical scholarship.
- Students will reflect on their own learning process and become self-reliant and independent learners.